Monday, July 20, 2009

Waiting... T-35 days and counting!

Everything seems to be falling into place: now that I’ve been accepted into the Master Program in Computer Science and I finally found a place to live it’s just a matter of time before I arrive to Uppsala. Personally, It feels like I’ve been waiting forever and I can’t see the day the classes are starting! Of course I’ve been thinking about all the things I have to do before moving to Uppsala and all the things I’m going to have to do once I’m there.

First of all, paying the student apartment is not everything: I need to go and pick up the keys… That means the day I arrive I’ll have tons of luggage with me and no place to go. Well, I’m adding “finding a hotel in Uppsala” to me to-do list. Also, once I get the keys I’ll have to buy some furniture. I’ll better look for an IKEA store and check a little bit what are they selling. It’s not rocket science thinking about going to IKEA since they are a low cost home products retailer founded in 1943 in Sweden. I’m not saying this is the best option, but right now is the only one I know.

What about bicycles? Every time I talk to someone who has been in Sweden the bicycles subject arise! Are all the students using bicycles for real? Even when it’s raining? Where can I buy a bicycle? I guess I’ll have to see all that for myself… In the meanwhile I’ll use the bus.


3 comments:

  1. Even when the floor is icy and slippery.... YES!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl,

    Found the theme of your blog quite interesting since I'm hoping myself to do a Master's at Uppsala next fall. Just a quick question: how did you go about finding accomodation? There seems to be endless possibilities but what would you recommend for foreign students?

    I'll be coming back here looking for your reply. :)

    Cheers, L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello L!

    I'm glad you liked it! :-) You are right: the list is endless! I would say you should register RIGHT NOW in http://www.studentstaden.se/ and start collecting queue days. Once you know you're moving here you should start looking at http://www.heimstaden.com/ they don't have a queue so you can go there almost daily and apply for EVERY room you like. That's how I found my apartment.

    I really recommend those websites because they don't require you to have a Swedish personal number. I would used all the other options just in case you are running out of time...

    Hope it helps :-) And good luck with all your applications!

    Andry

    ReplyDelete